Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Daily Greatness

I was reflecting on a time in my life when I experienced a maximum peak performance. The event itself and its circumstances are not important to this writing, but the feeling and outcomes are. At that peak moment with adrenaline coursing through my body and the support of a community, it was the long odds that were defeated. It was an experience of victory I will never forget. It is still today a source of confidence and self worth. A sense of achievement and accomplishment. It is proof that hard work and determination pays off even if it may take months to redeem. This day, at this moment, I was triumphant.

When I think of that particular moment in my life I sometimes pause to think about one question. At that moment, was I doing something I loved or something I was great at? The interesting thing is at that moment I probably could not have accurately answered the question and likely would have been puzzled by the inquiry. Looking back from my perspective today I can tell you both were present. That is what what made it so special and an iconic moment in my life. However, I cannot tell you if one or the other were dominant.

Is greatness more achievable by doing what you love or doing what you are best at? I have heard advice which has firmly claimed it is by path of one or the other. Certainly just because you love to do something does not imply you will be great at it. If you naturally possess excellence in something does it mean you will find personal fulfillment in doing it?

All I know is in that one event, I managed to create a defining moment in my own life and even touch the lives of others who were present that day. I would like to have that impact on my own life and the lives of others like that every day for the remainder of my life if it were possible. I would like to wake up each morning knowing I will be victorious against any odds because I am doing that which I should be. I recognize not every moment can be as epic as the one I reflect on from time to time. But perhaps each day can be greater than just existing and striving to get to the next day. Each day can be living a life of personal inspiration. Each day can have the potential for new defining moments.

The question is, would that be doing what one loves or what one is naturally gifted at?

No comments:

Post a Comment