Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Coffee Meetings

First of all, I enjoy good coffee. I associate relaxation, morning campfires and late night talks with a good cup of freshly ground french pressed coffee. I take it black or when I need a special treat I order up a soy latte of some flavor.

But this post isn't about my fondness for coffee. I had a couple of really great meetings yesterday with local entrepreneurs. We met over coffee and explored ideas for businesses and industries. We talked about past, present and the future of interesting topics ranging from social entrepreneurial activity to the rise of social media as a entrepreneur tool.

When meeting someone new over coffee the hardest part for me is just getting started. That initial introduction in person. Then after that it is almost always truly enjoyable at some level. It reminds me what makes social networks so intriguing, it is the people. I very much appreciate tools like LinkedIn where I can connect with others that I might never not meet with. But simply being in the same professional circle doesn't translate to a true connection. That is why I appreciate the coffee meetings.

I have met several successful entrepreneurs who are more than willing to allow you to come to their office for a meeting. But I have met fewer special entrepreneurs who are willing to meet for coffee and in a more casual way want to know more about me and what I may be doing. Those are the coffee meetings that are memorable. Given the opportunity, I would enjoy having that kind of cup each day.

Oh and by the way, if you are in the Boulder, Colorado area reach out to me if you are interested and lets grab some good conversation over a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment