Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mid-Life crisis

In December 2007, I left my job of 13 years, shaved my head, grew a goatee and moved to Colorado. That was the start of my mid-life crisis and I have been continuing it ever since.

Since being in Colorado, I have learned to go fly fishing and do a little cycling. I gave up cable television and just kept Netflix and Apple TV for on demand viewing every now and then. I no longer have a house phone as we have converted to cellular phones only. I try and get outside more, and this year bought my first pair of snowshoes to give a try.

I have tried my hand at Twitter, Facebook and Google+. I switched from a windows based laptop to a Macbook Pro. I started a small company to help kids balance the time they spend with electronic media (Internet, TV, video games) with other importance activities such as physical exercise, education and community service.

When I moved to Colorado I bought a house my wife not yet seen (yes, she is a great lady) and bought my first truck I have ever owned. I learned to shovel a little snow, but have also learned to play in it. I actually really love the Colorado Front Range seasons.

I have come to appreciate watching hockey and attend the Colorado Eagles games where the puck flies fast and the fists land often. I took my son to a WWE professional wrestling match and conquered the heights of a ropes course at Colorado State University. I attend sessions held for the public at the University of Colorado Boulder law building. And I pop and eat Boulder Popcorn like it is going out of style.

After 4 years in Colorado, I still stand in the streams and gaze at the mountain ranges in awe. With a sports car, I would have drove right past these memorable treasures. Long live the mid-life crisis!

No comments:

Post a Comment