Wednesday, November 23, 2011

New Heights

In July 2011, my 10 year old son had the chance to climb a public rock wall. While we were standing in line there were other boys around his age pushing and shoving and generally rough housing. Ben, who is meek and passive, was avoiding the mayhem. Though he is physically strong, he tends to avoid pretty much all conflict. I stood by him in line as he shrank from the activities around him. The other boys proclaiming how they will conquer the wall with ease.

When we arrived at the front of the line, Ben was equipped with his gear and helmet along with the three boys in front of him. These four kids were clipped in, faced towards the steep wall and told to go for it. I was surprised as Ben shot up the wall. As I watched him maneuver the wall, I glanced at what was happening with the other kids near him. One never got off the ground. One made it half way. And one managed to get up the wall but with considerable difficulty. It made me smile to know that Ben has the skills, but he chooses to use them when it matters most rather than just talking about it.

I learn a lot from observing Ben. Whereas my confidence is assertive, his is quiet. Where my strength comes from inner drive, his is derived by inner calculation. Where I might run through others to achieve, Ben will steer around them to victory. I like that there is room in this world for all types of winners. For every Muhammad Ali there is an Abraham Lincoln. Each with his own potential to lead to the best of their abilities.

At the conclusion of climbing the wall to the top, not once but twice, Ben humbly offered me a "high-five" as we turned to walk away. And he never said a word. That moment, on that day, Ben's success was not simply a result of his scaling of a challenging obstacle. His success, in my eyes, was the result of giving every effort to reach his maximum potential. It is one thing to talk of new heights, and quite another to reach them.

"Success is a peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - John Wooden

No comments:

Post a Comment