Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Gardener

I am the worst gardener ever. I can tell you stories upon stories of gardens which have not survived under my care, lawns that have been ruined only to be replaced and ruined again, and fruit trees that never bared their fruit. A gardener, horticulturist, or botanist I am not.

However, I appreciate the analogy that gardening offers my own life. I still toil in the yard battling weeds, sowing flowers and celebrating when I prevail over a corner of the yard that has been my nemesis. Each of these things and more reminds me of the care that goes into any activity worth cultivating.

In my own start up company, of course this analogy of gardening is also relevant. There are some activities that require greater care to grow and flourish. And the things that grow rapidly, those that sprout tall in the least amount of time, might not develop deep roots nor survive unfavorable conditions. It is the things I am attentive to, the details I sweat, that allow for growth that is from strength and not easily withered. I am further reminded when there is pruning required, that this act of cutting off results in the promise of healthier growth. Even though at the time I may only feel the bite from the teeth of the saw.

Growing something from nothing requires care, attention and time. It requires the labor of digging deep, preparing the soil, and the eradication of invasive weeds that threaten to choke what it is you mean to grow. Does it require work? Yes. Are there forces at work both for and against you? Yes. Is it worth the effort? I say, yes.

"All gardeners live in beautiful places because they make them so."
- Joseph Joubert

No comments:

Post a Comment